My rhubarb muffins are finally here. I was going to rewrite and upload this recipe last week but I had so much to do last week, that I simply didn’t manage. Rhubarb is great source of vitamin C and calcium. Be honest with you I don’t like its tart taste. Don’t forget that only the stalks of the rhubarb plant can be safely eaten because leaves (cooked or raw) contain toxins that are poisonous.
Yes, it is easy to use sweeteners to disguise tart taste of rhubarb. However, I am not a fan of heavy and very sweet desserts. So, I decided to make my muffins with bananas and only one spoon of agave syrup (nectar). I made these muffins already two times and the second time I forgot to use agave syrup. 🙂 Well, muffins were great and tasty anyway. So, it is your choice whether you use one spoon of agave syrup in this recipe or not. We enjoyed them even without agave syrup. 🙂 This recipe is gluten-free, yeast-free, lactose-free and also suitable for vegetarians. These muffins are very fluffy and satisfying, so I hope you will enjoy it.
Preparation: 10 min.
Cooking: 55 min.
Makes: 12 jumbo muffins
- 6 eggs (medium)
- 2 tsp. lemon juice, (freshly squeezed)
- 1 tbsp. agave syrup (nectar) (optional)
- ¾ cup almonds, (peeled) (90g)
- 1 cup hazelnuts (peeled) (150g)
- 1 cup desiccated coconut, (80g)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 tbsp. psyllium husk, (15g)
- 2 large rhubarb stalks, (roughly chopped) (240g)
- 3 bananas, (medium) = 1 ½ cup mashed
- 1 cup blueberries, (130g) (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 175°C, place muffin cups in the muffin thin
- In food processor, blend all dry ingredients for a minute
- Add all wet ingredients, rhubarb and mashed bananas and blend again, until smooth
- Spoon the mixture to prepared muffin cups (in case you use also blueberries only to one half of muffin cups)
- Top each with few blueberries and then soon the remaining mixture to muffins cups
- Bake for 50-55 minutes
- Let cool down a bit, (covered with tea towel), then serve
I use silicon muffin cups but you can simply use paper cups or just grease the tin properly with coconut oil… It’s up to you. If you omit blueberries, muffins will be tasty anyway.
To store: in a container covered with tea towel but during the hot summer season I would suggest some cool place or in the fridge