This recipe is not so complicated as it sounds. Actually, it is very simple recipe. You just need to precook potatoes and then make dough. I love apricot dumplings but it took me ages to create such delicious version without gluten. Yes, this version of dumplings is my best so far. I love to serve it with melted butter but I decided to use melted coconut oil this time, so lactose intolerant people can enjoy them too. This recipe is gluten-free, yeast-free, lactose-free, and vegetarian.
For vegan version you can use egg replacer. This dough is very sticky and fine so you need to be extra careful while making these dumplings. This recipe is perfect because you can use any fruit or streusel of your choice. Please follow the recipe instruction step by step because even small change can cause different result. Read my notes for more details. 🙂
Preparation: approx.15+15 min.
Cooking: approx. 5+1 min.
Makes: 12 dumplings
- For the dough
- 4 medium potatoes, (peeled and roughly chopped) (380g)
- 1 egg (medium)
- 2 tbsp. powdered xylitol
- 4 tbsp. white rice flour, (40g)
- 4 tbsp. tapioca flour, (30g)
- 3 small apricots, cut into quarters (100g)
- For the streusel
- 1 tbsp. carob powder
- 1 tbsp. powdered xylitol
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil, (melted)
- Boil potatoes in large saucepan of water until soft, (approx. 15-20min.)
- Drain, mash, and let them cool down
- Then add egg, xylitol, and flours and knead dough until it is firm
- Divide the dough in 12 pieces and wrap firmly around each quarter of apricot
- Drop dumplings in boiling water (in large saucepan)
- Cook until dumplings float to surface and then let cook them for 1 more minute
- Carefully remove them from the saucepan
- Sprinkle with carob powder, powdered xylitol and melted coconut oil
To speed up process of this recipe I cool down boiled potatoes in cold water.
I use thin rubber gloves to knead this dough and make dumplings because this dough is quite sticky and gloves help a lot.
I used new potatoes for this recipe, so please remember that different type of potatoes can make slight difference….
I always provide you with net ingredients weigh so, (380g potatoes = weight of already peeled potatoes)
Please do not let cook these dumplings more than 1 minute after they float on surface because longer cooking can make them too slimy.
For nut free version use different oil!
To store: an airtight container in the fridge (you have to warm them up before serving them again)