I use to love ketchup but even ketchup can contain gluten. Moreover, I cannot eat any preserved food because of my histamine intolerance. Thus, I decided to make my own gluten-free fresh ketchup. This ketchup is a bit different because the main ingredient is beetroot. It is simple gluten-free and lactose-free recipe.
I love to use it for my super simple gluten-free and yeast-free pizza. 🙂 Well, it is also great as a dip or sauce. You can substitute beetroot for tomatoes (must be skinless). Tomato version is delicious but I usually prefer beetroot version because I don’t want to provoke my body with high histamine level.
Makes: approx. 500 ml
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 beetroot, approx. (220g) (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 1 large onion, (80g) (peeled and roughly chopped)
- 3 apples, (200g) (peeled, cored and roughly chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 dried bay leaves
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- ½ ground nutmeg
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. lemon juice, (freshly squeezed)
- 2 cups water, (500ml)
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan
- Add all ingredients except of water and fry for few minutes
- Add water, cover it, bring to boil, and cook for about 30 minutes
- Take out the bay leaves and blend with a hand blender until smooth
- Let cool down and serve
Most of the water should evaporate off, consistency must be thick not watery. In case it is too thin after 30 minutes of cooking, cook it a bit longer.
I use rubber gloves because I don’t want to have pink hands from beetroot.
For nut allergy: if you do not tolerate nutmeg please use something else instead!
To store: in the fridge