This was little experiment of mine. The combination of beetroot, potatoes, coconut cream, and Parmesan surprised me. It is very tasty soup with slight Parmesan flavour. I usually serve it warm with gluten-free bread. You can top it with extra sliced parmesan and fresh basil.
This soup is so thick that it is also possible to use it as a sauce for pasta or noodles or nice dip. Just make your choice.
I would like to mention few nutrition benefits of beetroot. Beetroot is low in calories, contains no cholesterol and also contains a lot of vitamins like C, A and B complex vitamins. It is also natural antioxidant. The best is that it is also very tasty and you can use it for soups, mains, salads, cakes and deserts. I also like to prepare “ketchup” from beetroot. 🙂
- 30g unsalted butter
- 2 small beetroots, (180g) (peeled and diced)
- 1 medium onion, (chopped)
- 2 large potatoes, (160g) (peeled and diced)
- 2 garlic cloves
- ¾ cup coconut cream, (200ml)
- ½ cup grated Parmesan, (40g)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. dried oregano
- ½ tsp. dried estragon
- 3 cups water, (750ml)
- Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add all vegetables and spices and roast for few minutes
- Add water and cook over low heat covered for 15 minutes
- Add coconut cream and cook for about 15 more minutes, (until beetroot is tender)
- Whizz the soup until smooth using a hand blender
- Finally stir in Parmesan
I use rubber gloves to stop my hands turning pink from beetroot.
This soup goes well with fresh basil and GF bread